07.11.2014

Researching the Luftwaffe by following the paper trail - Introduction

When my interest in aviation history started to take off and being more of a serious hobby years ago (I will not state how many - as it might trigger a feeling that I am getting old!) my knowledge about what sources that were available was low.

I was reading magazines, some books and cartoons even, but I wanted more. I had a feeling that the stories told in our school textbooks and by popular media was to shallow - the whole story had to be more than the black and white bad guys vs good guys perspective almost all publications available to me at the time seemed to have.

I have already started a series on the 6. Abteilung des Generalstabes der Luftwaffe (Generalquartiermeister), but there are lots of documents that offer insight into the Luftwaffe which is not directly linked to this unit.

In this series, which I hope can be both an introduction for those starting up with a new hobby but also give those who have been interested for a while a few new ideas, I will try to cover those parts of the paper trail I have been using - and illustrate them with original source material - so that the reader can relate to the documents in their original state.

The language will naturally be cumbersome for some, and I will try to translate key components to English to the best of my ability.

I see now that I have forgotten to publish the introduction before I published the first two posts in this series - hopefully you will all read and enjoy these postings - the order you read them in is not really that important.




Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar