During this period, I./JG 5 was heavily engaged in the defence of southern Germany. On 16 March 1944, the Gruppe took part in attempts to intercept the large Allied formations attacking targets in the Augsburg and Ulm areas. Aircraft of the U.S. Eighth and Fifteenth Air Forces, together with elements of the RAF, attacked airfields, aircraft production facilities and other industrial targets in the region.
The fighting proved costly for I./JG 5. The Gruppe reported the loss of no fewer than 15 aircraft, while two of its most senior and experienced pilots were killed in action and a further four were wounded. These losses were considerable when viewed in relation to the nominal strength of a fully equipped Jagdgruppe. At full establishment, a Gruppe comprised approximately 40 aircraft: four assigned to the Gruppenstab and twelve to each of its three Staffeln.
Only two days later, on 18 March 1944, I./JG 5 was again committed to the defence of the Reich as the Luftwaffe attempted to prevent another major American force from reaching targets in the Munich area. The fighting was costly for the attackers as well. The Eighth Air Force reported the loss of 43 bombers and 13 fighters, while a further 16 bombers were forced to land in Switzerland. In all, 471 American airmen were listed as killed, wounded or missing.
I./JG 5 again paid a heavy price. The Gruppe recorded seven aircraft lost during the fighting, together with the loss of two pilots. Coming only two days after the severe losses of 16 March, this represented another significant blow to a unit already operating with substantially reduced strength.
The scale of the losses becomes even clearer when compared with the actual strength returns for I./JG 5. On 10 March 1944, the Gruppe reported 30 aircraft of which 17 was so-called Einsatzbereit (operational) and for pilots the numbers were 40 and 36, while the corresponding figures for 20 March were 15 aircraft of which only 6 were assessed as operational. The number of pilots in the unit were still 36, but only 19 were assessed to being ready for operation - 2 where assessed as operational with limitations while 16 were assessed as unfit for operations. Thus, the losses suffered in the middle of March represented a substantial proportion of the Gruppe's available combat strength.
I have taken the liberty of trying to match the existing records with the details of the losses for these dates. I am sure I haven´t gotten everything right, but it is a best effort attempt.
| Date | Rank and Name | Unit | Fate | Aircraft | Loss reason | Location | Report date |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| 12.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 65–100% | ohne Feindeinwirkung ohne Feindauftrag (Betriebsverluste) total | 16.03.1944 | |||
| 12.03.44 | Gefr. Heinz Moses | 4./JG 5 | WIA | Bf 109 G-6 (411388) « + 65–100% | Kollision bei Landung | Fl.Pl. Rovaniemi | 15.03.1944 |
| 12.03.44 | Uffz. Alois Obermeier | 4./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 10–60% | Kollision bei Landung | Fl.Pl. Rovaniemi | 15.03.1944 | |
| 12.03.44 | II./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 10–60% | ohne Feindeinwirkung ohne Feindauftrag (Betriebsverluste) beschädigt | 15.03.1944 | |||
| 14.03.44 | IV./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 65–100% | ohne Feindeinwirkung ohne Feindauftrag (Betriebsverluste) total | 16.03.1944 | |||
| 16.03.44 | Major Erich Gerlitz, Gr.-Kdr. | Stab I./JG 5 | B/O KIA | Bf 109 G-6 (162471) « + 100% | Luftkampf, Fallschirm nicht geöffnet | Raum Eibach-Wittbg.-Waldhausen | 23.03.1944 |
| 16.03.44 | Oblt. Lothar Gerlach, St.-Fhr. | 1./JG 5 | WIA | Bf 109 G-6 (162484) weiße 1 10–60% | Bruchlandung nach Luftkampf | Fl.Pl. Herzogenaurach | 23.03.1944 |
| 16.03.44 | Uffz. Konrad Laux | 1./JG 5 | B/O WIA | Bf 109 G-6 (162473) weiße 5 100% | Luftkampf | Reutlingen | 23.03.1944 |
| 16.03.44 | Fw. Hans Kütt | 1./JG 5 | FSA | Bf 109 G-6 (162463) weiße 9 100% | Luftkampf | Raum Ulm | 23.03.1944 |
| 16.03.44 | Uffz. Günther Kortmann | 2./JG 5 | WIA | Bf 109 G-6 (162460) schwarze 6 10–60% | Bauchlandung nach Luftkampf | Neckarhausen bei Horp | 06.04.1944 |
| 16.03.44 | Fw. Johann Veleba | 3./JG 5 | KIA | Bf 109 G-6 (162465) gelbe 9 100% | Luftkampf | Geislingen a.d. Steige | 23.03.1944 |
| 16.03.44 | Lt. Heinrich v. Podewils | 3./JG 5 | WIA | Bf 109 G-6 (162310) gelbe 6 90% | Luftkampf, Notlandung, Überschlag | Radelstätten | 23.03.1944 |
| 16.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 65–100% | durch Feindeinwirkung auf Feindflug durch Bordwaffenbeschuß total ohne Feindbeobachtung | 23.03.1944 | |||
| 16.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 65–100% | durch Feindeinwirkung auf Feindflug durch Bordwaffenbeschuß total ohne Feindbeobachtung | 23.03.1944 | |||
| 16.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 65–100% | durch Feindeinwirkung auf Feindflug durch Bordwaffenbeschuß total ohne Feindbeobachtung | 23.03.1944 | |||
| 16.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 10–60% | durch Feindeinwirkung auf Feindflug durch Bordwaffenbeschuß beschädigt ohne Feindbeobachtung | 23.03.1944 | |||
| 16.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 10–60% | durch Feindeinwirkung auf Feindflug durch Bordwaffenbeschuß beschädigt ohne Feindbeobachtung | 23.03.1944 | |||
| 16.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 10–60% | durch Feindeinwirkung auf Feindflug durch Bordwaffenbeschuß beschädigt ohne Feindbeobachtung | 02.04.1944 | |||
| 16.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 65–100% | ohne Feindeinwirkung mit Feindauftrag total | 06.04.1944 | |||
| 16.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 10–60% | ohne Feindeinwirkung mit Feindauftrag beschädigt | 23.03.1944 | |||
| 16.03.44 | Uffz. Günther Ohr | 4./JG 5 | WIA | Bf 109 G-6 (411064) weiße 3 65–100% | Orientierungsverlust und Spritmangel | Notlandung 20 km südl. Alakurtti | 19.03.1944 |
| 17.03.44 | Lt. Bernhard v. Hermann, Gr.-Adj. | Stab III./JG 5 | (MIA) (POW) KIA | Bf 109 G-2 (14068) schwarze 14 100% | Luftkampf, Notwasserung | 1 km nördl. Petsamo-Fjord | 20.03.1944 |
| 17.03.44 | Fw. Werner Hakenjos | 8./JG 5 | KIA | Bf 109 G-2 (10761) schwarze 5 10–60% | Überschlag bei Start | Fl.Pl. Petsamo | 20.03.1944 |
| 17.03.44 | Fw. Josef Kunz | 8./JG 5 | Bf 109 G-6 () schwarze 9 65–100% | Bauchlandung | Skorgerce | 20.03.1944 | |
| 17.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 10–60% | ohne Feindeinwirkung ohne Feindauftrag (Betriebsverluste) beschädigt | 21.03.1944 | |||
| 18.03.44 | Gefr. Hubertus Hack | 1./JG 5 | KIA | Bf 109 G-6 (162454) 100% | Luftkampf | 23.03.1944 | |
| 18.03.44 | Uffz. Kurt Schulz | 3./JG 5 | KIA | Bf 109 G-6 (162420) 65–100% | Absturz, Grund unbekannt | Plüdershausen, Raum Stuttgart | 23.03.1944 |
| 18.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 65–100% | durch Feindeinwirkung auf Feindflug durch Bordwaffenbeschuß total mit Feindbeobachtung | 31.03.1944 | |||
| 18.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 65–100% | durch Feindeinwirkung auf Feindflug durch Bordwaffenbeschuß total ohne Feindbeobachtung | 23.03.1944 | |||
| 18.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 65–100% | durch Feindeinwirkung auf Feindflug durch Bordwaffenbeschuß total ohne Feindbeobachtung | 23.03.1944 | |||
| 18.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 10–60% | durch Feindeinwirkung auf Feindflug durch Bordwaffenbeschuß beschädigt ohne Feindbeobachtung | 23.03.1944 | |||
| 18.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 10–60% | ohne Feindeinwirkung mit Feindauftrag beschädigt | 23.03.1944 | |||
| 19.03.44 | III./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 10–60% | ohne Feindeinwirkung mit Feindauftrag total | 22.03.1944 | |||
| 19.03.44 | III./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 65–100% | ohne Feindeinwirkung ohne Feindauftrag (Betriebsverluste) total | 22.03.1944 | |||
| 19.03.44 | 13.(Z)/JG 5 | Bf 110 () 10–60% | ohne Feindeinwirkung mit Feindauftrag beschädigt | 23.03.1944 | |||
| 19.03.44 | I./JG 5 | Bf 109 () 65–100% | ohne Feindeinwirkung ohne Feindauftrag (Betriebsverluste) total | 22.03.1944 |
Ingen kommentarer:
Legg inn en kommentar